Table of Contents
- 1 Top Picks for the Best Car Battery Charger
- 1.1 NOCO Genius G15000 Battery Charger
- 1.2 Battery Tender 021-0123 Junior Battery Charger
- 1.3 Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 Smart Battery Charger
- 1.4 Battery Tender 022-0185G-DL-WH Battery Charger
- 1.5 Schumacher SC-1200A-CA SpeedCharge Battery Charger
- 1.6 Rugged Geek RG1000 Car Jump Starter
- 1.7 CTEK 56-353 Battery Charger
- 1.8 Battery Tender 022-0148-DL-WH Battery Charger
- 1.9 NOCO Genius GEN4 Battery Charger
- 1.10 Battery Tender 021-0133 Commercial Battery Management System
- 2 Benefits of a Car Battery Charger
- 3 Tips for Charging your Battery
- 4 Essential Factors to Consider
- 5 Conclusion
As a car owner, one of the most frustrating things that can happen to you is when you try to start the engine and it won’t turn on. If this is the case, you most probably have a flat or drained battery. This is a sure-fire way to ruin your day. It is such a hassle, especially if you have a long list of things to do and you need your car to complete them.
To avoid inconvenience, you have to invest in the best car battery charger. With the latter, you will find it easy to revive your dead battery, anytime and anywhere. It is compact, making it easy to always bring with you in the car. Given the tons of the choices, however, arriving at a decision can be quite challenging. For that reason, allow this buying guide to help you!
Top Picks for the Best Car Battery Charger
In this section, we will look at ten of the best products that you might want to consider. The table below presents a summary of what you can expect from each of them.
|PRODUCT NAME||PRICE||OUR RATING|
|NOCO Genius G15000 Battery Charger||$$||4.3 out of 5|
|Battery Tender 021-0123 Junior Battery Charger||$||4.6 out of 5|
|Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 Smart Battery Charger||$||4.7 out of 5|
|Battery Tender 022-0185G-DL-WH Battery Charger||$||4.7 out of 5|
|Schumacher SC-1200A-CA SpeedCharge Battery Charger||$||4.2 out of 5|
|Rugged Geek RG1000 Car Jump Starter||$$||4.5 out of 5|
|CTEK 56-353 Battery Charger||$$||4.7 out of 5|
|Battery Tender 022-0148-DL-WH Battery Charger||$$||4.7 out of 5|
|NOCO Genius GEN4 Battery Charger||$$$||4.2 out of 5|
|Battery Tender 021-0133 Commercial Battery Management System||$$$||4.7 out of 5|
NOCO Genius G15000 Battery Charger
Among others, one of the best things about this product is that it has an innovative technology that allows it to charge two times faster compared to most of its competitors. This means that there will be a shorter waiting time before your battery is fully-charged.
It is also worth noting that it is versatile since it can deliver up to 9 charging modes. It can charge both lithium and lead acid batteries, guaranteeing the same superior performance. It also has a JumpCharge feature, which makes it useful in jumpstarting dead car battery.
In terms of construction, on the other hand, it is portable but rugged. It has a sleek profile that makes it a handy device. It is lightweight and comes with a rubberized base. The surface is also not easily prone to external damages.
It should also be noted that the battery can double as a diagnostic tool. It will have the ability to detect problems like reverse polarity and damaged batteries.
Aside from charging your battery, it also offers protection. For instance, it does not overcharge the battery. It also stabilizes the chemistry of the battery so that it can achieve its peak performance. Lastly, it also has an energy-saving feature.
- Has an abundance of safety features
- Rugged construction
- Can be prone to overheating
- May not last long
Battery Tender 021-0123 Junior Battery Charger
One thing that gives this an impressive reputation is the presence of a smart micro-controller, which gives the battery charger a mind of its own. It has an onboard computer that makes sure that it will provide the suitable level of power to charge your battery.
It also as ISM Adaptive Charging, which is another smart feature that makes it an intelligent product. More so, it has Infinite Serial Monitoring that changes based on the needs of the battery.
There are also several features that will ensure safety and optimal functionality. For instance, with reversed hook-up protection, the charger will make sure that there is a correct connection before it starts. It is also spark-proof.
Once it is done charging, the output voltage will be switched off automatically, which will be a good way to prevent overcharging. In turn, this is going to extend the functional life of your battery. There is no need to worry about the damages that can possibly result from overcharging.
With an output voltage of 12-volts, this charger can deliver multiple functions. Whether it is for cars, ATVs, motorcycles, and scooters, among others, you can be assured that it will deliver excellent performance.
Lastly, for your peace of mind, it is good to know that the manufacturer is offering a warranty that lasts for five years.
- Affordable price
- Lightweight and compact
- Has an extensive warranty coverage
- Initial charging time is long
- Processing warranty can be difficult
Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 Smart Battery Charger
Proven design and reliability – this is what the manufacturer promises to the users of this battery charger. It charges at a rate of up to 1.25 amps. Compared to the Junior battery from the same manufacturer, this has 50% more power.
Looking at its features, one that you will most probably find impressive is the plug and charge functionality. All that you have to do is to connect it to your battery and leave on its own. There is no need to worry about overcharging. Once the battery is full, it will automatically switch to floating mode, and hence, your battery will not be damaged.
Another safety feature is the reverse polarity protection. You will know if this problem is apparent when the red and green lights are flashing alternately.
When you purchase this battery charger, it is inclusive of ring terminals and alligator clips, both of which are made from premium materials that will guarantee quick and safe charging.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the manufacturer is offering a 10-year warranty, which should be more than enough to provide you with peace of mind.
- Has a float charging mode
- Charges your battery quickly
- May not be long-lasting
- Can fry your battery
Battery Tender 022-0185G-DL-WH Battery Charger
This 12-volt car battery charger has an input voltage of 110 volts. It utilizes a revolutionary 4-step charging, providing the battery with the power that it needs without the need to wait for a long time. It is a Plus model from Battery Tender, which means that its speed is going to be 50% quicker.
Similar to other products from Battery Tender, it has the standard safety features. For instance, when it is done charging, the battery will charge to floating mode, which will prevent the possibility of overcharging. It also offers protection from reverse polarity and short circuits. Lastly, the charger is also spark-proof.
When it comes to versatility, this can also prove to be a promising product. Regardless of the type of battery that you have, you can expect peak charging performance. It is suitable for lead-acid, flooded, and sealed maintenance-free batteries.
Lastly, it comes with a 5-year limited warranty from the manufacturer. It is shorter than the warranty of the battery mentioned above, but given that they are made by the same company, there is nothing that you have to worry about.
- Offers a lot of safety features
- Great quality at an economical price
- Has advanced algorithms
- Can fail after a short time of use
- May not work in some batteries
Schumacher SC-1200A-CA SpeedCharge Battery Charger
One of the reasons why this product is worthy of being included in this list is the fact that it offers multiple charging modes. Regardless of the size and the type of the battery, this is going to do the job. The best thing is that you just have to plug the battery and the charger will figure everything, making automatic adjustments as it deems fit.
The sturdy construction of the built-in handle is also a plus. This makes it easy to bring it in different places, depending on where is the battery that needs to be charged. The handle also doubles as a cord wrap.
This product delivers intelligent charging functions. Its smart capability can be attributed to the fact that it has a micro-processor controller. The latter offers multi-stage charging without charging too much. Also, this makes the speed two times faster compared to what you can expect from the conventional chargers that are available.
Lastly, there is a fully-automatic operation, which reduces the effort that is required on your end. Similar to the batteries that have been mentioned above, it automatically adjusts to floating mode once it is done charging, which will help to extend the lifespan of your battery.
- Will not overcharge your battery
- Charges your battery quickly
- Has different charging modes
- Battery button may be flimsy
- Charge does not last long
Rugged Geek RG1000 Car Jump Starter
This portable power supply, jump starter, and LED flashlight is a must-have in any car as it can prove to be useful in emergency situations. It has 1,000-amp peak boosting capacity, which makes it reliable.
It comes with IntelliBoost cables, which are specifically designed to make jumpstarting an easier and safer task. Even if you have not tried jumpstarting a car before, with the use of this product, you can be confident that you will be able to do it the right way.
The sports tire tread design of this product is also worth noting. This makes it excellent in terms of aesthetics. Plus, as the name of the company shows, this is a rugged product. Even through the years, you can expect that its charging performance will be hard to match.
It can also provide the best bang for the buck, which is basically because the kit is inclusive of almost anything that you will need to be prepared on the road, such as an air compressor, car charger, wall charger, USB ports, laptop charging adapters, and laptop tips. A storage pouch is also included to keep everything organized.
Lastly, the manufacturer offers a 1-year hassle-free warranty. If there is any problem or if you are unhappy with the product, get in touch with the manufacturer.
- Rugged construction for long-term functionality
- Has a lot of intelligent and safety features
- Doubles as an ultra-bright flashlight
- Can make the battery swell
- Ports can be defective
CTEK 56-353 Battery Charger
The 8-step charging system of this product is one of its best features. It starts with desulphation, which is an important step to recondition battery that has not been used for a long time. By the end of the eight steps, you can be sure that your battery is finally brought back to life.
The flexibility of this product is one more thing that makes it an excellent option. It is designed to deliver multiple functionalities, promising to charge different types of batteries. There is also a Cold Weather mode for charging at extremely low temperature. There is also a Recondition Mode to spare a battery that has already been severely discharged.
To add, the battery charger is made to survive all weather conditions, which is one indication of its durability. It has an IP65 rating, which allows it to resist dust and water. It can be used at a temperature range of -4 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
There are several features that will ensure the safe use of this battery charger. For instance, there is reverse polarity and protection from short-circuits. It is also spark-proof. If the charger is connected incorrectly, there is a blinking red light that will provide immediate notification to the user.
- Constructed from high-quality materials
- Comes with a soft carry case
- Keeps batteries safe
- Can drain power
- Not as long-lasting as leading competitors
Battery Tender 022-0148-DL-WH Battery Charger
You will see that the price of this battery is more expensive compared to any of the products that have been reviewed above. This, however, should not be an issue as it can provide excellent value for money. This is considering the fact that it has four charging ports and it has impressive power to charge multiple batteries at once.
This model uses a four-step charging program, which is one thing that is common in other choices from Battery Tender. The first step is initialization, followed by bulk charge, then absorption mode, and finally, float mode. When the battery is fully-charged, it will switch to float mode to prevent overcharging.
For your safety, this battery has passed stringent tests and has global certifications. It is also spark-proof and has reverse polarity protection. There is also protection from short circuits.
Regardless of the battery that will be charged, the results can be impressive. It can be used for AGM, sealed maintenance-free, and flooded batteries.
Lastly, if you are looking for peace of mind, it will be good to know that the manufacturer is offering a warranty that lasts for two years.
- Comes with multiple charging stations
- Lightweight and portable
- Protects the battery from overcharging
- Expensive price
- Some ports can be faulty
NOCO Genius GEN4 Battery Charger
This is another car battery charger that comes with a hefty price tag. Nonetheless, considering the fact that it is a 4-bank, 40-amp charger, you will see that the price can be justified. It also has a 100% waterproof construction, which makes it an excellent choice even in the most extreme environments. Because it is sealed, it is less prone to damages that can be caused by dirt and dust.
There is no need to worry about safety. There are several features that ensure the safe operation of this battery charger. For instance, it will not generate sparks. It will also have protection from reverse polarity hookups. More so, it will not overcharge and overheat.
When it comes to speed, you will have another reason to be impressed with this charger. It has an innovative feature that allows it to charge two times quicker compared to competing products.
The built-in desulfator of the battery is also an exceptional feature. The latter is the one that provides it with the capability to recover batteries that are already worn-out.
Lastly, the product has undergone saltwater testing, which proves that it can resist corrosion. For this reason, aside from cars, it is also popular for its marine applications.
- Sealed and waterproof construction
- Charges fast
- Made from premium materials
- Expensive price
- Performs poorly in deep cycle batteries
Battery Tender 021-0133 Commercial Battery Management System
From the ten products that we have briefly discussed in this buying guide, this is the one that comes with the most expensive price. Before you freak out, however, it will be good to know that there are several charging ports, which will allow you to charge up to five 12-volt batteries simultaneously.
Like other batteries from Battery Tender, it has the standard safety features, including reverse polarity protection, spark-free design, and protection from overcharging. There is also a safety timer and a LED indicator that makes it easy to monitor the status of the battery.
The package is inclusive of six-foot lead clamps that are made from top-notch materials. They are compatible with almost any type of battery, which includes AGM, flooded, and sealed maintenance-free.
For your peace of mind, the manufacturer offers three years of warranty coverage. Nonetheless, there were some negative reports about the warranty. To avoid problems, make sure to read and follow the terms and conditions that have been specified by the manufacturer.
- Can charge up to 5 batteries at a time
- Has a 4-step charging system
- Prevents overcharging
- Expensive price
- Can have issues with the warranty coverage
Benefits of a Car Battery Charger
Below are some of the compelling reasons on why you need to have a battery charger in your car:
- Provides Power when you Need It: If your battery is low, the performance of your car will be negatively affected. With this, a charger will instantly provide the power that you need. You will never feel hopeless and frustrated. It will quickly restore a depleted battery.
- It is Cheap: Price will depend on the specific product that you will choose. Generally speaking, however, they have a price that won’t hurt the wallet, and hence, there is no reason for you to not invest in one.
- Delivers Multiple Functions: There are many models that will not only charge a battery. They will also be able to jumpstart your car when there is no other car nearby. Plus, they can even function as a flashlight.
Tips for Charging your Battery
It is not enough that you have the best charger with you. For the best outcomes, below are some of the most important things that you have to keep in mind:
- Make sure that you connect the positive post with the positive terminal. The same thing is true in the case of the negatives. Luckily, many of the modern chargers have protection from reverse polarity.
- Before charging, you need to have a quick inspection of the terminals and make sure that they are clean. If it is already covered with white powder, do not touch it as it can cause skin burn. You can clean it with sandpaper and a cleaning solution that will get rid of the dried sulfuric acid.
- See to it that you are using a battery charger that is suitable for the type of battery that you will charge. There are different types of batteries and there are some chargers that are designed specifically to work only with a specific type.
- Determine the voltage of the battery that you are charging. Refer to the manual from the manufacturer of your vehicle. This will let you know the specific charging requirements of the battery that you have.
- Read and understand the directions from the manufacturer. Make sure that you religiously follow the steps that are specified, especially those that concern safety.
- Once you are done, check the battery to be sure that it is charged. A hydrometer can be useful. You can also simply just turn on the engine and look at the battery gauge.
Essential Factors to Consider
To make it easier for you to decide which one to purchase, below are some of the most important things that you need to take into consideration:
- Reviews: The first thing that you have to do is to consult with what other people have to say. You can ask around from people you know or go online and read reviews. The real-life experiences of other buyers can provide you with valuable insights, making it easier for you to narrow down the possibilities.
- Ease of Use: The charger will be useless if it is complicated to use. That being said, you should look for one that is as user-friendly as possible. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions on how to make the most out of their product.
- Durability: See to it that the charger is made from premium materials that will not be easily prone to wear and tear. They must be able to resist external elements, such as water and dirt to be able to deliver long-term functionality.
- Safety: Evaluate the safety features that are present in the product. For instance, it should not create sparks and there should be protection from overcharging and overheating. The charger must also be certified and must have undergone a rigid test to prove that it is indeed safe.
- Compatibility: Start by knowing the type of battery that your car has. Then, find a battery charger that will be suitable for it. As noted above, not all types of chargers will work with all kinds of batteries.
- Versatility: By choosing a product that is versatile, you will enjoy your money’s worth because the product can be useful in more ways than one. Choose a charger that works for all types of batteries. More so, it will also be good if it can double as a flashlight so that it can be useful in emergency situations.
- Charging Ports: Most models will have a single charging port. In the case of the more advanced options, on the other hand, there are multiple ports, which will allow you to charge simultaneously.
- Speed: You also have to research about how long does it take before the battery can be charged. This will depend on the size of the battery, but the capacity or performance of the charger will also have an influence on such. A charger with more amps will be able to revive a dead battery quicker.
- Display: Although not necessary, it will also be a good thing if the charger comes with a display, which will make it easy to monitor the status of charging, and hence, eliminate guesswork. No more need to turn your engine first to check if the battery has already been fully-charged. The display on the charger will already show the status.
- Battery Size: The size of the battery is an important consideration because it will determine the power that is necessary for the charger to have. If the battery is too large while the capacity of the charger is too low, you cannot expect optimal charging outcomes.
- Price: A lot of budget-conscious buyers will most probably look for the cheapest product that is available in the market. I strongly oppose this. At the end of the day, it is better to spend for an expensive product if this means that you will enjoy top-notch functionality. This can avoid frustration in more ways than one.
- Warranty: Look for a battery charger that comes with an extensive warranty coverage, which will provide you with confidence in its quality. However, remember that the manufacturer will not honor the warranty if the product is used incorrectly or if the problem is a result of your negligence.
As it has been discussed in this short buying guide, the best car battery charger is one item that you must always have in your vehicle. You’ll never know when it can be useful. When you are confronted with an unfortunate situation in the middle of a road where help is scarce, with your charger, you will not be inconvenienced.
If you are having a difficulty deciding which one will make a good choice, refer to the ten products that have been mentioned above. They are all made by trusted manufacturers and have a premium construction that ensures long-term functionality.